One of many spam-preventing Instagram features, the Instagram automated spam block, was recently introduced in 2021. This automatic feature is programmed to detect specific actions by Instagram users that may appear as spam. Unfortunately, many people were late for the memo and didn’t realize this new feature could block real users’ accounts, like your very own.
Are you unable to access your account and post pictures, let alone comments? Many users tried to find answers with the Reddit community to try and fix the block. If you have ended up in this corner of the Internet, perhaps you were a subject to it yourself.
By now, you probably want to know – is this permanent? Are all your efforts to keep up a successful account for nothing? That’s exactly what we’re here to help you with. The article below will help you understand what an automated spam block on Instagram is, how to get rid of an automated spam block and why you were subject to it. Let’s start with the basics – what is Automated Spam Block on Insta?
What is an Automated Spam Block on Instagram?
Instagram automated spam block is an algorithm designed to detect automated actions by bot accounts or fake accounts. To help decrease the overall spam on the app, the developers created a system that blocks the user’s account – either temporarily or permanently. This means that for a limited time (or sometimes indefinitely), Instagram users may be restricted from following other Instagram accounts, liking or commenting under pictures, posting, or sending DMs.
You probably became aware of this problem through an in-app pop-up message similar to:
“We were unable to save your changes due to an automated spam block. If this is a mistake, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.”
Or another alternative:
“It seems like you were misusing this feature by going too fast. You have been temporarily blocked from using it. We restrict certain content and actions to protect our community. Tell us if you think we made a mistake.”
Now if you receive this, you can contact Instagram and get the issue resolved pretty quickly. However, if you use Instagram automation, or if a bot account receives this message, chances are it will get ignored and the automatic spamming will continue. This instantly flags up on the Instagram algorithm, and your account may become permanently blocked. It’s essential to act on time and do something when you receive this message. You can find more on how to remove automated spam blocks on Instagram in the dedicated section below.
We have covered spam blocking in our spam comments on Instagram article, where we explained the steps you can take to protect your account from spam comments better. So how does this relate to the automated spam block?
If you have recently commented on an Instagram account, and yet were unable to find your comments underneath the post, chances are your comment has been hidden by this semi-automatic Instagram blocking feature. Why semi-automatic? Because the person using it had to put through specific keywords, they wanted to block manually.
Let’s say that I have recently received tons of spam in my comments section. I got fed up or upset with it and decided to block specific words and phrases that popped up often, such as “offer” or “click the link” or slurs like “**uk” or even some annoying emojis. If you accidentally used one of them in your comments, your comment would be automatically blocked, and it won’t show up underneath the post. Try rephrasing your comment if this happens.
Alternatively, if you have been commenting a lot in a short period, Instagram probably detected your activity and thought it was suspicious, temporarily preventing you from commenting. This often happens when you try to advertise something in the comment section or tag people in comments when you participate in daily giveaways.
So what now? How long until you can comment again? We discuss the different types of automated blocks and how you can fix them in the next section.
Why Can Instagram Automatically Block You?
Many Instagram users find themselves accidentally blocked by Instagram every day. This is the negative side of Instagram’s automated spam block. There are many different reasons why someone can get blocked. Usually, it is because Instagram has registered your behavior as spam or spam-like and may decide to temporarily action block your Instagram account.
If you get blocked by the Instagram algorithm, you often won’t get a warning beforehand, and you won’t be given a reason. There are two types of action blocks on Instagram:
Temporary Action Block
The temporary action block only lasts a short while. Its cause is exceeding the usage of certain Instagram features and violating the app’s Ts and Cs. You can wait out the period from 24 hours to 30 days to gain back access to the account.
Permanent Action Block
This one’s a no-brainer. You’re either banned from your account or completely restricted from specific actions indefinitely. This often happens after an account has had previous violations and has received temporary action blocks.
So what can be some reasons why Instagram has blocked you? Here are the most common causes of blocking on Instagram:
- Instagram suspects you have created an automated account. If you have automated your Instagram actions, the app will think you’re a bot, spider, scraper, or another type of spam account and block you.
- If you have recently logged on from a different IP address, Instagram might be suspicious of this behavior and think you’re someone trying to hijack an Instagram profile. Make sure to always confirm your identity via SMS or e-mail.
- When many people send reports and complaints your way, you might get blocked by the app. People might think you’re a spammer and report you if you have been mass following and mass liking.
- Have you initiated too many direct messages in a short period? Instagram may think you’re a spammer and block you as a result.
- Posting explicit content is another reason for blocking a profile. If you have included sexual content, nudes, or violence (and yes, showing off a nipple in an incredibly edgy yet professional photoshoot counts, too!), Instagram will block you.
- You may get blocked for copyright infringement if you have reshared someone’s art and haven’t included the source or posted the same pictures as a different user without giving them the credit they are due.
- Putting too many hashtags in the comment section can be recognized as spam, and Instagram may block you.
- Spamming posts excessively also won’t look good under Instagram’s radar. It might look like you’re just trying to build a feed too quickly, which smells fishy under Instagram’s nose.
- If you only log in once or twice a day, but your Instagram ends up doing hundreds of actions, Instagram will register it as suspicious behavior and block you.
Most of the reasons mentioned above only occur if you actually started a legitimate spam account. Of course, there are several exceptions, and a new account that isn’t familiar with the way Instagram operates may mistakenly get itself blocked. So if you’re one of those people, you’re probably wondering what to do next, right?
How to Get Rid of Instagram’s Automated Spam Block?
If you have received a message: ” Try Again Later: We restrict certain activities to protect our community. Tell us if you think we made a mistake”, then you should know you have been temporarily action blocked on Instagram.
This is Instagram’s way of checking whether or not you’re a bot. A bot wouldn’t take notice of a message and try to continue spamming. On the other hand, a real-life user will take note of it.
Instagram’s algorithm can make a mistake, so if you think the app has wrongly blocked you, you can message them directly to let them know they have made a mistake.
There are other things you can try if you want to get rid of the spam block ASAP:
- Try deleting the Instagram app and installing the latest version.
- Clear the cache on your Instagram app from your phone’s settings.
- Take a break – consider staying off the app for 24-72 hours until the block wears off.
- Update your phone to the latest iOS or another system update.
- If you have a link in your profile bio, delete it, log out and log back in again.
- Verify your phone or email to prove that you are not a robot.
- Link your Facebook profile with your Instagram profile.
- Enable two-factor identification.
- Change your password.
- If you’re using automation or bots, know that this may be the reason you were blocked.
- Stop using banned Instagram hashtags.
- Switch from a business profile to a personal profile, or vice-versa.
- Reboot your phone in the worst-case scenario.
The main thing to remember is – don’t give the Instagram AI a reason to believe you’re a bot. Use the application for its purpose. If you’re not sure if you have spammed someone by mistake, check our spam on Instagram article, explaining what spam is.
How to Protect My Instagram Account from Spam?
One of the most famously asked questions – how do you protect your Instagram account from spam? It’s a long and exhausting job to stay vigilant for spammers on all your social media apps. Manually checking each comment and follower and blocking them individually can eat up a lot of your time, especially if you have a big followers count. So what’s your alternative?
Have you tried Spam Guard? Spam guard is a third-party app that serves as a personal Instagram paladin to shield you from unwanted commenting and any spam post that may come your way! Go check it out for yourself – just type your username and start your free analysis! Spam Guard is one of the few tools we trust and vouch for, and it’s effortless to use.
If, however, you aren’t keen on using this app, you can also say goodbye to spam comments and offensive DMs by switching to a private account. Bear in mind that you’ll not only stop receiving spam comments and DMs this way, but your private account will also prevent people from seeing any of your posts, your bio, your stories, and reels. For people making money on Instagram, it might not be the best choice, but it has proved extremely safe!
Before You Head Out…
We hope you found this article useful and answered some commonly asked questions. Now you know how to get rid of automated spam block on Instagram and how to stop comments you don’t like and direct messages.
Do you need more spam-related advice? Check out our article on how to remove fake followers on Instagram to learn a few valuable tips and tricks!
If you know someone who can benefit from this article, share it with them, link our article to your story, or bookmark it for later use! Hope to see you again, and until then – I wish you safe browsing!
ragi rava upma for kids
Biz journalist Leung hired as VP of content at ClickUp
Jogger Sets – With Love From Kat